Union staff and consultants are shaping global public health policy and practice through their service on national, regional and international committees, boards and steering groups.
Examples from 2017 include:
- Agence Autonome de l’Inserm (ANRS) STATIS Trial Scientific Advisory Board Chair
- Comité National de Lutte Contre le Tabagisme (CNCT) Board of Directors
- Forum of International Respiratory Societies (FIRS) Organisational Member
- Indian Council of Medical Research TB Implementation Research Working Group
- Indian Council of Medical Research TB Vaccines Working Group
- Leeds University Communicable Diseases Health Service Delivery Consortium Advisory Group Chair
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine Urine Stamp Trial Steering Committee Chair
- Non-Communicable Disease (NCD) Alliance Chair
- Regional Green Light Committee (rGLC) for the Africa Region
- Regional Green Light Committee (rGLC) for the South-East Asia Region
- Stop TB Partnership Board of Directors
- Stop TB Partnership Global Drug-resistant TB Initiative (GDI) Core Group
- TB Alliance Paediatric TB Advisory Board
- WHO Child and Adolescent TB working group
- WHO Global Task Force on Latent TB Infection
- WHO Guideline Development Group member
- WHO Western Pacific Region Task Force on Child TB
ASTHMA WORKING GROUP
Prepared and submitted an application to have a budesonide/formoterol combination inhaler added to the WHO Essential Medicines List. Subsequently, the WHO Expert Committee on Selection and Use of Essential Medicines recommended its inclusion, which will increase availability and accessibility to patients in low-income countries.
AIR POLLUTION AND LUNG HEALTH WORKING GROUP
Organised three sessions at the 48th Union World Conference on Lung Health and worked on preparations for a one-day air pollution training for clinicians to take place during the 2018 Pan-African Thoracic Society Meeting.